April 2, 2019

Finished Embroidery Project

I have a finish to show you! A while ago I talked about Gail Pan's book "Patchwork Loves Embroidery Too" and my plan to make one of the amazing projects in her book. Well, here it is! This weekend I carved time away from moving preparations (yep, in a few weeks we will be moving) and finished it, albeit with a few changes from Gail's instructions.

I knew I would not have time to hand stitch anything so I reached for my trusted Heat 'n Bond Lite, traced the templates for the dark frame onto it, made them hollow for a softer hand, and bingo.

My stash of fabrics is amazing. I found the perfect background fabric for this project and began putting the pieces together. Notice that I pressed under the edges of the embroidery work but I had no intention (read 'time') to needle turn it. So...

... I cut four strips of the Heat 'n Bond and fused them to the folded edges. Then, I peeled off the fusible web, centered the embroidery work over the dark frame and machine appliqued using a blanket stitch.

For the life of me, I can't understand why my black hand stitches were so NOT straight. I have done much better work! I even ripped it all out and stitched again, only to make wavy lines one more time. It seemed it was 'supposed' to look that way, so here it is.

I switched threads and appliqued the frame.

This is what the back looked like when I was done. The black stitches going toward the center mark where I joined the frame pieces. More about that in a little bit.

My bees came alive and their trails became the quilting motif. I quilted with the same thread from the blanket stitch applique' on the edge of the embroidered center: Aurifil 40 wt. I did not quilt on the frame except very close to the edges of the embroidery work as I wanted it to puff. It does - remember: I removed the fusible web from most of it. Also, I quilted over the black embroidery lines only.

I found in my drawer a piece of leftover binding in the right length - this flannel. I did not plan on hand stitching the binding, so I secured it to the back of the work then flipped it to the front and machine stitched it. Notice how I use the walking foot to apply the binding onto the quilt.

Where the pieces of the frame came together I appliqued them then covered the edges of the fabric with this fabric marker so there would be no white peeking through.

And here it is. Because I did not needle turn the black frame, the finished work is a bit larger than Gail's, measuring 17-1/2" x 18-1/2". It will hang either in my new office or new studio, but it will be in full view forever because I love how it turned out.

Between looking for a new place and packing to move into it, you will hear from me now and then until we are settled. I have oodles of patterns to deliver so, yeah, I am going into hiding. Maybe.

Have a fantastic day!







10 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your bee-utiful project. I really enjoyed the closeups of your process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is adorable!! Thank you for showing how you finished it. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's for when you want to finish the project but do not have a bunch of hours!

      Delete
  3. It is just wonderful! I just purchased Patchwork loves Embroidery and am going to choose a project soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That book has fun projects - I love them all! Thank you!

      Delete
  4. That looks incredible! You stitching is beautiful and the colors are just wonderful with it.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you are taking the time to leave a comment. It is always nice to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...