March 4, 2013

Hawaii on my mind

I just found these two pieces I appliqued a few years ago. There were two others, in green, but I turned them into a tote for my mother. These might become another tote, or wall hangings, or pillows.

The pattern was enlarged by 200% and, compared to the one I am working on right now, they were easier to needle turn as there weren't many tricky spots. I am almost done with the first (out of nine) block on the new project. As you can see from the pictures below, since I did not enlarge the pattern, there are many challenges due to the much skinnier overall design.

You may have already noticed that I don't do 'trial' versions - I experiment on actual projects... Once the applique is done on the nine blocks (each block is about 20.5" x 20.5"), they will become a quilt which I am planning to hand quilt. Maybe.

A tip: when choosing fabrics for needle turn applique, be sure to select tightly woven fabrics. I did not do that so I will use Dritz Fray Check generously...

One thing I know for sure: after this needle turn applique 'exercise', if my curves, peaks, and valleys do not improve it will not be for lack of practice!

Have a fun Monday!



2 comments:

  1. I would never even attempt something like this, so kudos to you! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olá,não precisa generosidade,está lindo e bem feito; amo isso,não tenho feito pois requer calma e concentração,que não sei onde foi parar...mas vamos combinar que é divertido depois de pronto,então é a glória.Bençãos e beijoGRANDE.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you are taking the time to leave a comment! It is always nice to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...